On July 14, U.S. President Trump signed the Hong Kong Autonomy Act and issued the Executive Order on Hong Kong Normalization. The Order kick starts a process to suspend and eliminate Hong Kong's preferential status under U.S. law in some key areas, including export controls, and to impose economic sanctions that could target individuals and entities in the PRC and Hong Kong. Changes to U.S. export controls and imposition of U.S. sanctions can ratchet up complexity and challenges for American businesses operating in Hong Kong and the PRC. The current geopolitical climate and apparent paradigm shift in U.S.-China relations further raises the stakes for American businesses. Reports indicate that the U.S. President has considered broad visa bans and sanctions while the Chinese Foreign Ministry and the Hong Kong Government have stated that U.S. sanctions will be met with a response and counter-measures. Sanctions and counter-measures can be imposed with little forewarning; taking proactive steps now is crucial preparation for American businesses with headquarters and operations in Hong Kong and the PRC.
What changes to export controls and sanctions may potentially be made in the coming weeks and months? How should American businesses prepare themselves and what might be some key risks to understand? What steps or strategies can American business consider to navigate the choppy waters that may be ahead?
Please join this webinar with three distinguished speakers who are experts in international trade, export controls and sanctions and who have a depth of experience in advising businesses with operations in China.
Please join us for a Zoom meeting with the following details:
- Webinar details will be sent out one day before the event.
- If you are new to Zoom, here are instructions on how to download the software and join a meeting. Please familiarize yourself with the platform beforehand.
- Please log in (your registered email) at 8:15am, 15 minutes in advance of the session start time. This will allow time to troubleshoot any technical issues and start promptly at 8:30am.
- Please use the same name you registered with AmCham as your Zoom account.
- Please type in your questions in the "Chat" button at the bottom screen, the moderator will be selecting questions during the Q&A sessions. If you are using the mobile app, please click "Participants" then "Chat."
- Chatham House Rules
- Event Closed to Media