Since news of China's "Big Data Social Credit Scoring System" was first introduced in 2014, international observers have criticized it as a dystopian application for top-down authoritarian control. Whereas Western business is accustomed to having credit histories and certain commercial data available through bureaus and information providers to assess the creditworthiness of customers and to conduct due diligence on business partners, the Chinese "corporate" system is said to go much further by integrating legal infringements and indicators of online and offline business conduct. With the program expected to become functional in 2020, MNCs in China need understand the program and prepare for its implementation. While Chinese officials present the program as benevolent and designed to build trust and strengthen rule of law, the scope and workings of the system are murky.
Mr Joerg Wuttke, President of the European Chamber in China, will show how it might impact the China playing field and operating environment when the system takes effect after 2020.
Questions to be addressed
1. What are the core features and functions of the system?
2. When and how will the program be rolled out?
3. What are the blacklist and penalty hazards?
4. How can MNCs best manage compliance and predation risks?
5. How will the system impact corporate governance norms?
Please join us for a Zoom meeting with the following details:
- Webinar details will be sent out one day before the event.
- If you are new to Zoom, here are instructions on how to download the software and join a meeting. Please familiarize yourself with the platform beforehand.
- Please log in (your registered email) at 11:45 am, 15 minutes in advance of the session start time. This will allow time to troubleshoot any technical issues and start promptly at 12:00 pm.
- Please use the same name you registered with AmCham as your Zoom account.
- Please type in your questions in the "Chat" button at the bottom screen, the moderator will be selecting questions during the Q&A sessions. If you are using the mobile app, please click "Participants" then "Chat."